Thursday, November 6, 2008

response to Qs

1. Explain a piece of "modern art" that you have recently come across and what emotional response you had to it. [via Emma]

My neighbor has a public art piece up, mimicking the signs that are in front of UIUC buildings on campus. It was originally intended to be a straightforward pastiche, complete with false department name. However, he decided to go for a more interactive piece with the chalkboard to make the sign even more subversive.
Since I expected the installation, I was not as confused as most people I see when they come across the sign. However, I think it's a very interesting commentary. It does relate to remediation because it is a reworking of a known medium into something more collaborative, which is pretty cool, honestly. Inviting people to write on a sign with all the things that university signs imply (ie, the Man and that it is an Institution of Serious Learning) has had some pretty interesting results. I've seen everything from the inane to quotes to personal confessions.

No comments: